Saturday, April 22, 2006

Stuff

Well, I’m back, I guess.

I had two days in Sydney this week visiting the family, which is always nice. I forgot the two essays I have due tomorrow and walked the dog around the park in Rushcutters Bay.

Two little tidbits today:

I got myself very worked up this morning when I read Mirko Bagaric’s latest claptrap. I just can’t respect a person who says there is no connection between speed and road deaths.

Further, he is unaware that ‘dissension’ is not a word, which I felt it necessary to point out.

When I read Bagaric’s work, I am often struck with how populist and irresponsible he can be. I can only think that there is some connection between his positioning and his work being published in newspapers like the Herald Sun, where his populist ranting makes a connection with readers. However, it really is a funny position for a legal academic to place himself in.

Why, I ask myself, does Mirko feel the need to be populist, rather than actually analysing in an academically rigorous way the arguments he wants to make.

I am the first to admit less than sufficient academic rigor in my blogging work, but then again, I am not in charge of a Melbourne law school.

And:

I wish I could find a link, but I heard a story on the radio about a British man who has been charged with theft for ‘eBay fraud’, in that he took money but never delivered a product.

Apart from the inner law geek, which screamed ‘that’s not theft, it is obtaining financial advantage by deception’, my outer law geek started to think about how this is the first time I have heard of a case where eBayers are given some legal protection. I have always had faith in eBay’s feedback system, whereby the information market provides an assessment of a participant’s credibility.

It can only be a good thing, however, if criminal sanctions are imposed upon people who are fraudulent in their eBay participation. That way, rather than relying on the information of others, there is finally some legal support underneath the eBay framework, which can only encourage more participation in the entire process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home