Monday, January 10, 2005

Italian smoking ban

Interesting to see, here, that Italian smoking bans have come into force, with 75% support amongst the Italian population.

I am a firm believer in the 'I don't care if you smoke, just not near me' school of thought. As I have said before, I am happy for people such as Antonio Martino, the defence Minister, to assert their 'sacred right' to smoke. Just do it in your own house.

If a country where 'espresso and cigarettes at the local coffee bar' is a 'daily ritual' can introduce smoking bans, how hard can it be for Victoria? The Italian ban allows smoking in public places, which I do not support, as it is just as bad standing next to a smoker on the street. However, this is a good start and a useful model for Victorian legislators to use.

The move towards a reduction in people being forced to passive smoke can only be a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home